There are seven categories to view:
1) Black and White - Black and white was my first love in photography. Some of these images will be in the Sienna Woods section as well.
2) Color - Some color was shot on transparency material and some was on color negative. Others were digital files. Many of the images from transparencies were printed on Cibachrome, a process no longer available.
3) Sienna Woods - This was my first major project to end up as a book. Some of these images appear in the Black and White category as well. All images can be printed in B&W or Sepia.
4) Two Cultures, Side by Side - I grew up in the Northwest Texas Panhandle where many of the middle and upper classes employed good folks from the other side of the tracks. As a budding photographer armed with a decent medium format camera, I photographed the people around me. I always felt that both classes were equal, but in the back of my mind knew something wasn't quite right. As I reviewed these photos to create a book of early photography, I began to see that perhaps I wasn't as welcome in both worlds as this 13 year old boy thought he was. Looking at these friends now, I see that they had dignity and I respect them all the more now.
5) Photography in the 60's - Photos made earlier in the 60's during college years, plus others done in Santa Barbara California while attending photography school. Also you will find bits of a three month trip to Europe in 1969.
6) Early Digital Experiments - Back in 1992 when I first started with Photoshop, I went a bit wild and especially liked a filter called find edges. My first show with such images was around 1995 at The PhotoZone Gallery on Broadway. It was all black and white printed on a laser printer. The second show had been colorized. Some were printed on color laser, others were converted to 35mm color negative film and printed on a photofinishing machine. I have included a number of chromoskedasic prints which is a darkroom printing process that creates unpredictable color effects on B&W photo paper. Note: Quality inkjet prints were not available at this time.
7) Recent projects - Infrared, Platinum/Palladium, Ortho and Ultraviolet photography are among recent explorations. I'm also re-visiting old work that I might have dismissed originally. Most images are darkroom printed. I seem to be moving away from excluding evidence of human influence on the landscape. Things are starting to creep into the work. I don't mind if the beauty of the moment remains the message. Note a new project underway to print platinum over inkjet. Challenging but rewarding. This adds a whole different feel to color. I'm starting to experiment with the older style ortho films. These are sensitive mostly to blue light. Also using this film and a ultraviolet pass filter I should find my self shooting Ultraviolet photos which could be interesting for some subject matter. Time will tell.
Also see the Projects Header for another idea that is starting to gel.
Click here to view all of the galleries.