The three color images are my first successful platinum over inkjet prints. A lot of experimentation was involved here. I saw Dan Burkholder’s images online and was intrigued with the look that he achieved. I’ve been printing platinum/palladium since around 2015 and have found it to be a challenging process. Doing this has added a whole new level to the degree of difficulty. First I had to figure out how to make a decent color print on platinum/palladium watercolor paper. I had about six papers to choose from and fount that my favorite platinum paper from Hahnemuhle worked best. I had to create a paper profile for my printer but found that I had to decrease the black output and saturate the colors. Then I discovered that when I created registration marks and made the negative and print with the same size and same registration marks a problem in size resulted. Just the process of printing the color image on the Hahnemuhle paper expanded one millimeter in the long dimension and a tiny bit in the short dimension. I had to remake the negative 1mm longer and about 1/10 mm in the short dimension in order to make the registration close enough. I have yet to prove theories about why this is happening. More to come.
After all that and many wasted sheets of paper, I found that I need to give about 1/2 exposure to the platinum print or everything gets too dark. These three images are the only ones that approach what I’m after.
The latest venture was to an old chicken processing plant on the SW edge of Creswell, Oregon. I used an infrared converted digital camera for those images.